Sunday, 31 December 2006

Relapse

I couldn’t sleep in the night again; I came downstairs about 3:00 am feeling horrible and finally got to sleep at about 5:30. Jackie started trying to wake me about 8:00 but I gather I wasn’t very responsive. I got up about lunchtime feeling awful again.

Recovery

Around 6:00 pm. Bobby arrived and I drove to collect him from St Albans station (there’s a direct line from Brighton). It was still raining heavily, but I immediately felt much better. Perhaps the fresh air helped.

Bobby came with his friend Luke, and after a gorgeous meal we all decided to see in the New Year at the Doctor’s Tonic: Jackie and I, Bryan, Bobby and Luke. At the pub we met with Rhiannon and her partner Stu. There were so many other people we knew, of all ages and all good people; the pub had a wonderful atmosphere - very “loving and cuddly” Jackie described it. The music was excellent too: Kirsty MacColl, Kasabian, T Rex, Rolling Stones, Dr Feelgood, Little Richard and so on..

When the New Year was welcomed in, it was really rather moving. Except for one young woman who gave me a lovely cuddle and kiss but then spoiled it by rather impudently saying “Happy New Year Grand-dad”.

Jackie and I left shortly after, leaving our children to party into the night. We walked the mile or so home, and then had a large cup of tea before turning in and sleeping soundly.