Sunday, 28 January 2007

Celebrating not smoking

So far, The Practice Of Not Smoking has been easier than I anticipated. It is nice that my clothes no longer smell of stale smoke and I seem to be getting cleverer. For example, I have developed a new theory that nicotine agitates clothing fibres causing clothes to expand. Once the nicotine is removed from the clothing, the clothes will shrink by a size or more. I can think of no other explanation for why my clothes no longer fit comfortably since I have given up smoking. I wonder why no-one has noticed this phenomenon before now?

To celebrate four weeks without a single cigarette between us, Jackie and I planned to go for a walk in the winter sunshine. We decided not to risk walking in the countryside, as we’d heard this can be quite dangerous without the proper equipment and training. Or was it “quite muddy”? Anyway, instead we decided on a brisk walk around a historic market town, perhaps punctuated by occasional forays into shops selling antiques or second hand books.

We decided that Hertford might provide the very thing. Unfortunately, when we arrived there, the historic market town of Hertford appeared to be entirely closed. So we set off for Hitchin, choosing a very circuitous route through many lovely villages. Sadly, the historic market town of Hitchin was also closed. But we at least managed a gentle saunter down by the river. Jackie dissuaded me from entering Moore’s Bookshop, one of the few placed open.

Holocaust Memorial Day

Today was the 62nd anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. On the History Channel, I watched some very harrowing interviews with survivors and with those Allied soldiers who liberated the camps.

Holocaust Memorial Day is important because the Holocaust was perhaps the lowest and most loathsome act ever perpetrated. And because it was perpetrated by a nation that was materially well off and that benefited from some of the superficial trappings of civilization. And because we must acknowledge that we have much in common with the Holocaust's victims - and with its architects and perpetrators.

Back to work

After a pleasant evening meal with our sons, I wrote up the results of the completed Annual Reviews at WCVS, and then went through the notes Mum had prepared for the lady who will officiate at Dad’s funeral this coming Friday.