Sunday, 21 January 2007

The rest of Saturday and Sunday are a bit of a blur. Jackie and I spent Saturday afternoon with Mum, Jez drove to Ampthill to break the news to our sister Caroline, I telephoned Bobby and Nancy. Sunday morning was also spent catching up on sleep and talking with family.

Mum was coping extraordinarily well.

After all talking together, we decided we would carry on as normal on Monday as best we could going about our usual business. It is, after all, exactly what Dad would have done. The past cannot be changed and there is nothing to be gained by moping about.

This is not a callous view. I am very much conscious of my grief and the grief of those about me. But grief is an intensely private thing. And meanwhile the world goes on and there is work to be done: tomorrow I have a meeting with the new South and West Herts PCT, and a telephone interview with the Big Lottery about funding for the Watford Learning Partnership. I know exactly what Dad would have done: he'd have been right there doing what he could to improve things for the living. And I’m very grateful that he passed on some of his character and strength to his children.