Monday, 1 January 2007

Jackie and I woke early and for once we both felt well. We hurried around catching up on all the many things we should have done earlier in the holiday – making calls, visiting people, and sorting out how to prepare for the coming busy week or two at home and work.

At lunchtime, the three boys emerged from their rooms. On their way home the previous night, they had stumbled across someone too drunk to move. After unsuccessfully trying to rouse the drunk, they had called an ambulance. To keep their patient warm, Bobby had even lent out his brand-new-and-bought-in-America-so-impossible-to-replace coat. After their adventure they finally returned home after 4:00 am. The upshot of all this was that Jackie and I then had to spend part of the day driving around WGC trying to retrieve Bobby’s brand-new-and-bought-in-America-so-impossible-to-replace coat.

In the evening, I spent an hour or two reading through all the papers on WBC’s proposals for rationalising lease arrangements for voluntary organisations. I had hoped to complete the paper over Christmas but with illness this hasn’t been possible. But after reading through everything, I am hopeful I can catch up with the work over the next few days. Provided of course that everything else runs smoothly!

Oh, and somewhere along the line (I think about the time the New Year came in) Jackie and I do appear to have given up smoking. We shall see.