Sunday, 3 June 2007

A beautiful day. Jackie and I rose early and spent the entire day together gardening. All very pleasing. We finished in the garden about 6:00 pm, bathed and ate. I made a final round of telephone calls arranging interviews with shortlisted candidates in WCVS's current recruitment process for a Finance and Administration Officer. I had thought to spend the rest of the evening doing some final preparation for WCVS's audit but this was out of the question.

For some weeks, I have been nursing along a "frozen shoulder" - a stiffening of my left shoulder and elbow, usually accompanied by great tenderness and occasionally by extravagantly shooting pains. After a day in the garden, the pain was constant and intense. I sat with my elbow perched on top of five cushions while Jackie lovingly massaged me. I felt so miserable and pathetic that even a new episode of Midsomer Murders did little to raise my spirits.