Sunday, 17 June 2007

The rain had passed over and I spent a long day in the garden building a pergola. I hadn’t bought a kit (just lots of wood and screws) and I was pretty much making up the design as I went along. After tightening the fortieth screw above my head, I felt a sharp twinge in my right elbow and I feared I’d never play the piano again, but the pain subsided and I was soon back at work. I must buy an electric screwdriver! Fortunately, Jackie took pity on me and helped out so by about 7:00 pm we had a nice new pergola.

It was a very melancholy Fathers' Day. My own dear old Dad died earlier this year. And my son was busy being a teenager in Brighton. And my daughter was with her Mum. Jackie's son Bryan bought me a large Toblerone - just what I bought for my Dad every year for about 30 years. Did he know?