Saturday, 2 June 2007

I woke up about 7:00 this morning to the sound of Bethany crying from her bedroom. I rushed in and found her sitting up and claiming that she had seen "bats" at the window. This was probably not a bad dream, but a misunderstanding as two sparrows often do flutter around the window apparently picking spiders from the wall of the house. I reassured her (without mentioning spiders) and we went to wake up Jackie before enjoying a wonderful breakfast in bed. All too soon, we had to restore Bethany to her mum and dad; I do hope she visits again soon.

At lunchtime, Jackie and I headed off to see Blithe Spirit at the Watford Palace Theatre. Simon Dunton was particularly good as the husband; but what to do about Margaret Rutherford's incomparable performance as Madame Arcati? A clever bit of casting allowed Aicha Kossoko full reign and she didn't disappoint.

Watford is very fortunate to have the Palace Theatre but theatres struggle against many other competing demands for our time. Rather depressingly, the only Palace Theatre event "SOLD OUT" is a performance by Frank Skinner. I myself am keen to see the Indian production of A Midsummer Night's Dream in September.