Tuesday, 13 November 2007

A strange and occasionally distressing day

Everything began pleasantly enough: I arrived at the office, cleared my correspondence and then had a very very helpful meeting with Laura Cronshaw. Laura is my counterpart from St Albans CVS adn she had some very good points to make about Training, ICT and the HIC / CVS relationship. Perhaps the most useful aspect of the current strategic planning exercise for HIC is that it is forcing us to think very clearly about boundaries and parameters etc. Not before time.

At lunchtime, I sped from the office for my dental appointment. After a brief discussion with my Dentist, we agreed on extraction. I am quite vain about still having all my teeth, but this one doesn’t appear to have any function as there is no corresponding tooth above it. After several weeks of nagging pain, I was finally to get my tooth sorted out. Hurrah!

After four attempts to administer pain-killing injections (surely enough to numb an elephant) and after three painful attempts to extract the tooth, my kindly dentist retreated in some distress. But not as much distress as me. I cannot describe the pain or relive the experience. Not even for you, dear reader. I understand I need to be referred elsewhere for an extraction under general anaesthetic but I am not sure whether this is because my dentist can’t give injections, because I have an immunity to local anaesthetic, or because I am a big baby.

By mid-afternoon I was back home, diverting myself by working on the HIC Training Strategy.