Friday, 2 November 2007

One doesn’t like to complain, but for the past ten days I have been suffering with toothache. It hasn’t been very painful but it has been incessant and it has certainly been sufficiently painful to keep me awake at night. This morning, I finally got to visit the dentist.

My dental practice is staffed by a pleasingly international mixture of Danes and Sri Lankans. This morning I saw the Dane. He replaced a filling but warned me it is “on the nerve” and that if the pain persists I will need root canal treatment. He also gave me a humiliating lecture on how to brush my teeth. I use a large toothbrush with hard bristles and I brush with vigorous manly strokes. Apparently this is all wrong. I need to use a small toothbrush with soft bristles and to brush using little girly curlicues. Or all my teeth will drop out. At least he refrained from specifying that I need to use a pink toothbrush.

Back at the office, I finally circulated the final Value and Volume report into Hertfordshire's voluntary and community sector. What a weight that is off my shoulders!

In the evening, Jackie and I visited my Mum, who has recently returned from a trip to Lake Garda.