Wednesday, 29 April 2009

In its relations with the voluntary sector, the NHS in Hertfordshire carries around the dead weight of History. Voluntary organisations are sometimes slow to forgive past transgressions – particularly when perpetrated by those we wish to regard as friends and allies. But there are many in the NHS that do regard the voluntary sector as (potential, if not actual) friends and allies, and this morning I went to Charter House to meet with Lynda Dent and Heather Aylward to explore how we can find ways of working together more closely. For me, the meeting was extremely valuable and I hope my hosts also took away some pointers.

From Welwyn Garden City I drove to Watford for a few hours and then headed off to Whitechapel for a meeting at the Disability Law Centre. On arrival I was alarmed to find that their excellent CEO Linda Clark had rushed off to A&E with eye trouble. The meeting took place in a rather subdued atmosphere until news came through that Linda was fine. Phew!