Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Community centres were once at the heart of each community and were well-used for all manner of community events: wedding receptions, performances, jumble sales, lectures, clubs and societies, cubs and scouts, public meetings and the like. Some centres are still very well used and still provide a focal point for community life; but many community centres across the country have fallen into disuse. This morning, I met with Sarah Pinnock and Any McBean of Watford Borough Council to visit Holywell Community Centre in West Watford to talk over options for using the facility as a focal point for community activity in Watford.

Back at the office, I organised some future meetings, finalised some job advertisements, and looked at funding for the October conference we’re organising on the Compact and Public Law.

On my way home, I dropped by to meet Tina Barnard who gave me a tour of the (extremely nice) new offices of the Watford Community Housing Trust. I also spend some time with Bobbie Graham, WCHT’s Equalities and Diversity officer. Back in WGC I visited Ann Jansz (my counterpart in Stevenage CVS) to talk about the Herts CVS bid to host the LINks contract in Hertfordshire. We had an extremely helpful talk (thanks Ann) and I left about 8:00 extremely hopeful that we can put together an excellent tender.