Tuesday, 17 June 2008

This morning I visited Everton Blake, my counterpart at Voluntary Action Luton. We had a very interesting discussion. On the edge of Luton’s pedestrianised town centre, VAL occupy a large-ish building that serves as a sort of community resource centre. I am sure this is the best way forward for CVSs: operating resource centres that serve as real focal points for independent community activity. But of course the model can only succeed if there is security of tenure with no crippling rental charges or debts. This is something that VAL (and Watford CVS) are exploring. I hope one of us cracks it.

Back at the office, I met with several members of staff to discuss changes and developments.

At present, work is increasing exponentially. I have set rather too many hares running and they’ve bred like rabbits; now I must take a machete to a vast Malthusian bunny tidal wave. I need to conclude some projects quickly - or do some serious and bloody culling. Sorry bunnies. And sorry too for this appalling garbled metaphor.