Monday, 9 June 2008

After her latest visit to Poland, Maria returned to work this morning and we spent the first couple of hours interviewing for the new part-time receptionist post. Fortunately we soon agreed on a good candidate.

So many WCVS staff are visiting the annual Charity Fair over the next few days that I had to make some arrangements to secure cover at the office. I also had to catch up on some urgent correspondence before leaving at 1:00 for the latest round of my ReaLM course in Cambridge. The weather had stayed fine after yesterday, and the journey was hot and unpleasant. When I arrived in Cambridge I found the class already underway, and a stone’s throw from the window there were some huge construction vehicles making an infernal racket. I endured this politely for more than half an hour and then said that unless we changed to a room the other side of the building I was going to leave. We moved to classroom the other end of the college that was at least five times better than the awful airless suntrap we’ve been occupying for the past two months. And once the background noise was removed, I actually quite enjoyed myself for once. Perhaps it’s the knowledge that this is my last class meeting. Anyway, I will miss Wendy our lovely tutor.