Monday, 15 December 2008

After attending (part of) a meeting on Grassroots Grants at the Herts Community Foundation, I hurried off to the annual Volunteers’ Lunch at WCVS. This was well attended and Pam’s "few words" were as perfectly judged as ever. I resisted the urge to say something as I think all our volunteers know how much their efforts are appreciated by all the staff here. But maybe I shouldn’t have made such an assumption? Anyway, my homemade Christmas Cake was well received.

After lunch, I met with Des Reid on REACH, with Mary Green on the Holywell Community Centre, and with Marv Renshaw on Inspiral Arts.

I had an interesting e-mail from a local firm offering to advertise our volunteering opportunities at a “reduced rate”. Curious.

Recent reading ...

Stephen Jay Gould’s The Hedgehog, the Fox and the Magister’s Pox was (predictably!) well referenced and built on his earlier work Rocks of Ages and his theory of “Non Overlapping Magisteria”: the idea that religion, sciences and the humanities occupy entirely separate spheres that never overlap or come into conflict. If only ...

Tim Moore’s Frost on my Moustache describes his recreation of the 1856 journey of Lord Dufferin to Iceland and the far north of Norway: very amusing.