Friday, 3 August 2007

After a morning on the telephone, I think I have now sorted out WCVS's next few networking lunches. On 10 September at the Holywell Centre we will focus on working with youth. On 3 December at the North Watford Mosque, we will focus on Watford’s diverse Muslim community. On 21 January (at a venue to be decided) we will focus on The community and mental health.

For the past few days, I have been in the process of sorting out our 2006-07 accounts. My office has looked like the refuge of a mad scientist with papers, files and books strewn across every available surface, including on occasion the floor. I have not tidied up at night because … well, because I feared that if I tidied everything away I would never get it out again.

And this afternoon I finally had a few hours clear to work on the accounts. And at the end of the day I got my figures and tables and analyses e-mailed off to our auditors. I feel so much better.

The perils of answering the telephone

At one point in the afternoon, perhaps eager for a break from reconciling figures, I answered the telephone. So careless of me. I spent the next hour (or what seemed like an hour) listening to a perfectly pleasant lady recount to me her story of several operations, two ungrateful children, a much loved grand-child and an unreliable postal service. Of course I could have interrupted her to end the call, or I could simply have hung up. But she just seemed so damn happy to have someone to talk to.

Back home

A lovely evening with Jackie: eating al fresco, a bottle of wine, a Midsomer Murder.