Saturday, 17 March 2007

Visiting Watford

I arrived home on Friday evening with both office keys in my pocket. As I would not be in the office on Monday morning I needed to return one set of keys over the weekend, so this morning Jackie and I took a trip to Watford.

Since starting work here last summer, I have developed a genuine affection for Watford adn its people. But I am used to visiting Watford to work. I should visit it more for pleasure.

Jackie and I had a lovely time in the High Street. And then in the Harlequin. And then at the wonderful New Hope Trust charity shop, I managed to buy The Smoking Diaries (Simon Gray), Allan Quartermain (H Rider Haggard), Sap Rising (A A Gill), No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency (Alexander McCall Smith), Hannibal’s Footsteps (Bernard Levin), Defying Hitler (Sebastian Haffner), British Wild Flowers (John Hutchinson - two volumes), and The Observer Book of Cats (first edition). All for less than £5.00!

Among our other purchases was a new cordless telephone. The User Guide helpfully begins: WARNING: Your phone have been registered before ship – you doesn’t need to register nor de-register normally. Is it me?

Divided loyalties?

Sports-wise, I had a day of strained loyalties.

My affection for Watford means I want Watford FC to survive in the Premiership. But I still support Tottenham against Watford today and was delighted with Paul Robinson’s goal from almost inside his own penalty area.

While I have no hesitation in backing the England football team in all circumstances, I have divided loyalties when Wales play England at rugby. Today, as usual, my (distant) Welsh ancestry prevailed (as did Wales in the game).

Geneology tells me I am more Scottish then Welsh. In fact, I am more Scottish than English. But I have never considered supporting the Scottish national team in any event.

I've no Irish blood at all, but still felt sorry for Ireland as they missed out to France in the Six Nations Championship. On St Patrick's Day too. But they did beat Pakistan at cricket: how weird is that?