Monday, 24 September 2007

Early problems and disappointments

The day began with a particularly unpleasant storm. Hopefully it will kill off this autumn’s plague of Crane Flies (what’s the plural of Daddy Long Legs?). The rain bought out heavy traffic and this delayed my arrival at the office. When I did arrive, I found that Maria’s PC had lost its network connection. I had no real time to help with this, but instead went straight into a meeting with a group from Inspiral Arts.

Inspiral Arts are a group of arts-orientated young people. They have a huge amount to offer their community and (without wishing to sound too old and pompous) I am keen to provide as much support and encouragement as I can. On this occasion, Inspiral Arts were eager to discuss how to convince WBC to support a bid to the Community Assets Fund for money to create a community arts centre in Watford. Sadly, I had to report that timings and logistics meant that WBC could support only a bid from YMCA. I felt like a cad and a bounder. But the group took the disappointment very well and I am sure their day will come.

"Isn't it strange; they've got their acts together"

After this meeting, I spent time trying to fix Maria’s PC. But without luck. Eventually I asked Maria to contact our IT support chap Angelo as I had to rush off to a PCT “showcase” meeting in Hatfield. This seems to be the meeting at which the various Herts PCTs all publicly signed up to the commonly agreed plan. This plan identifies three different service strands (outpatients, elective surgery, emergency care) and plans accordingly. It really does seem very logical and sensible. Professor Sir George Alberti, National Clinical Director for Emergency Access, seemed very impressed with the Herts PCTs: “isn’t it strange, they’ve got their act together”.

The turnout from the voluntary sector was tiny but at least someone was present to represent the VCS view. It wasn’t me: I was beaten to the draw by a lady from the Public Consultation Forum. But I did bump into my Chair Pam Handley, whose day job is chair of North and East Herts PCT.

At the end of the day

I checked in at the office and found that Maria had successfully rejoined her PC to the network with help from our IT chap Angelo.

In the evening I finished reading the marvellous Kate Atkinson’s Case Histories. Within the book, she makes gauche and incongruous references to the technical specifications of motor cars in the apparent belief that this is what men like to read about. Jeremy Clarkson has so much to answer for. With any other female writer, these awkward references would seem clumsy and pretentious. But with Kate Atkinson they only underline the charm and character of the book and its writer.