Friday, 25 May 2007

Today started with one of my regular supervision meetings with Pam Handley, my Chair of trustees. Pam is an exemplary trustee possessing a wonderful mixture of technical knowledge, local political nous, and strategic awareness. I look forward to these meetings but I fear I am not yet extracting maximum benefit from them – perhaps I need to prepare more?

The deadline passed for receiving applications for the vacant post here of Finance and Administration Officer. The first time this was advertised (in The Guardian national paper) we had just two applications. We re-advertised in the Watford Observer and at the local Job Centre, and we had a further thirteen applications. Of these, two had simply sent in their CV with no covering note. I am by no means sure that these are even intended as applications for the post, but in any event they really aren't admissible. Another applicant completed the application form with a name and address, but against every other questions had then written “will discuss at interview”. I don’t think so. So we were left with twelve valid applications (including the two from the first round). I will read through these over the weekend.

In the evening I had a long chat on the telephone with Mum who had just returned from a day out with one of the local history societies.