Friday, 27 March 2009

This morning I had another of my monthly meetings with Pam, my chair of trustees. I look forward to these meetings as Pam has a deep store of technical expertise and manages always to provide the perfect blend of support, calm, challenge and guidance. Today she scored another perfect ten.

At lunchtime I visited the YMCA to pay my regards to Roger Sands who is retiring as head of the V programme in Hertfordshire. Thankfully, he will remain as a WCVS trustee.

But today was all about the Audentior awards ceremony at which c 350 invited guests celebrate all that is good about Watford. The invited guests are all committed to making Watford a special place, and the award winners are rewarded for their extra special contributions to the town. Mayor Dorothy Thornhill and Councillor Jan Brown hosted so well and it was a truly memorable night.

It perhaps shames me to recount it, but the undoubted highlight of my evening was when Marv Renshaw, collecting the award for working with young people, said he wanted to be “a bit like” me when he was older. It was a lovely thing to say, Marv. Bless you always.