Tuesday, 10 February 2009

After last night’s trauma of changing a tyre in the freezing rain, it was good this morning to attend a meeting of the One Watford local strategic partnership. As ever, there were some intelligent discussions. I gave a short talk on our discussions towards setting up a Community Assembly in Watford, and this was well received.

It is dangerous to have “pet projects”, but this is a subject very dear to me. I have always had a fascination for the town- and village- based “democracies” of the ancient Greeks, Vikings, Saxons, and early British settlers in America. Most people naturally offer their first and strongest allegiance to their local community and it seems to me that this scale offers the best basis for a truly open and equal democracy. Naturally in Watford we shall try and emulate only the best aspects of these older communities: our neighbours in Rickmansworth should not fear Watfordian raiding parties crossing the River Colne.

I left Watford for the day and travelled into London for a DLS trustees’ meeting in Whitechapel. At first, my journey went smoothly and I arrived at Kings Cross in ample time. But as I approached the barriers for the underground, the barriers closed, and an alarm sounded with an announcement that Kings Cross was closed until further notice due to a security alert. Kings Cross staff explained that for “maybe three hours” there would be no trains to Whitechapel and no trains back to Hertfordshire.

I wasn’t too worried as I fancy myself a pretty seasoned walker - its only about five miles to Whitechapel and I had plenty of time. I strode away from Kings Cross thinking I would surely find a bus or a train at some point. No. I walked the whole distance to Whitechapel, fuelled by sheer stubborn bloody-mindedness. I arrived at my meeting half an hour late, feeling very unwell, and my feet were aching painfully – all my walking is usually done on soft earth not hard pavements. I fear my tales of travelling mishaps are testing the patience of my fellow DLS trustees, and perhaps of you too, dear reader.