Monday, 2 February 2009

I woke at about 5:00 am and wondered why the room was bathed in a ghostly white light: it was moonlight reflected off the snow and into our bedroom. About four inches of snow fell in the night. This was not a natural disaster, but was perfectly sufficient to close all the major transport routes across Hertfordshire. After listening to the weather and traffic reports on Radio 4, I concluded that it would be foolish to attempt the journey to Watford. I stayed home to work, having long telephone conversations with the three consultants I was meant to have met this morning to talk about WCVS’s possible relocation to the Holywell Centre. During the day, we had another four inches of snow.

Intrepid Jackie had donned her boots and jacket and walked the mile or two into town for her job with the NHS - I was very proud of her. Aged Ken, our decrepit white cat of indeterminate age, was less than intrepid and would not venture out in the snow. Let me just say that some questions it is better for you not to ask.