Wednesday, 7 February 2007

I spent a quiet and productive day catching up on some of the 1001 little jobs that needed doing. Most pleasingly, I finally worked out how to upload documents onto WCVS’s website.

Next, I issued all affected groups with a report on WBC’s final proposals for the future of voluntary sector leases. We secured some important concessions from WBC and I think we need to blow our trumpet a little bit. At the risk of sounding a bit precious we also need to recognise that WBC have displayed commonsense and flexibility too.

In the evening I completed Sean Martin’s history of the Knights Templar. It was mostly well written but it contained perhaps half a dozen of the worst written paragraphs I’ve ever read. After reading a description of one seige (possibly of Ascalon) I was still unclear as to whether the Templars were the beseigers or the beseiged. And I was equally unclear as to whether or not the fortified town actually fell. Do publishers no longer employ editors?