Sunday, 14 June 2009

Today was the showcase event for Watford LIVE! The weather was beautiful –perhaps not ideal for an indoor event. Watford Borough Council made the Colosseum available to us. As its name suggests, this is a huge venue. Perhaps due to the weather, perhaps due to the short timetable, perhaps due to failings in our planning and preparations, the attendance was disappointing. At one point, I actually walked all around the venue counting everyone present. I counted 218 but they were entirely lost in the vast space of the Colosseum. This was a shame as many of the performances were breathtakingly good.

At one point, I ducked out of the Colosseum to attend the re-launch of the Watford Polish Association at the Holy Rood Parish Centre.

After returning to the Colosseum, I had a call from Jackie to say she had found a snake in our compost heap and had called the RSPCA. Later she called again to say that it was in fact a slow worm.

I estimate that throughout the day we had maybe 800 people attend the Colosseum event. But people came and went constantly and the average attendance at any given time was around 200.

I couldn’t stay to the end. On my way home, I visited my Vice Chair of trustees, Althea McLean OBE, to catch up on things.