Tuesday, 19 December 2006

Blooming in the sunshine

When I left home, it was dark and icy - the first truly cold day of the winter. But by the time I arrived in Watford, the sun was shining through beautifully. Staff and volunteers alike bloomed in the sunshine.

The simple joys of life

Today was the day I finally sorted out my professional life. No-one would know – all the action took place inside my files and cabinets. Ably assisted by the remarkable Maria (treasured volunteer) I spent virtually the entire day finally sorting out my filing system. I have been seven months occasionally pruning my files, or grafting on to them. But enough is enough. Elsewhere, major sources of work-related stress are bullying, poor pay, overwork, etc. For me, nothing induces stress so much as a poor filing system.

Having completed the task, it is so thrilling to know where things are and to know where things should be. Instead of one file named “Accounts” I now have one named “Audited Accounts” and one named “Bank Accounts”. It is impossible to convey how much simple joy this gives me. But there is a serious side too; it is "de-cluttering", clearing the decks for action, preparing for what lies ahead: I feel ready for anything.

Three welcome interruptions

There were three welcome interruptions to my onslaught on the filing.

This morning, Sandra unexp[ectedly visited from Barnet CVS. She lives in Watford and is a trustee of both the African Caribbean Association and the Women’s Centre. We spoke for about an hour on the future for various local groups, voluntary sector accommodation needs, local grant programmes, national trends in funding, the Minority Ethnic forum, policy developments and so on. Very helpful.

Mid-way through the afternoon, we took delivery of a Thank You hamper from Angelo, our IT support contractor.

Finally, late on in the afternoon I was visited by Harry from Herts CDA to discuss the the Patient and Public Involvement Forums, now transforming into PCT Links. Harry updated me on the associated changes and what they might mean for Watford. Harry is also a member of the Watford Indian Association so we also discussed some of the same issues I’d covered earlier with Sandra.

Just before 6:00 pm I left the office a very contented man.

The only downside to the day is that my pile of Things To Read Over Christmas has now reached the daunting size of eight full inches; even this, I expect, will provide me with much opportunity tonight to indulge in inappropriate and puerile humour.