Tuesday, 12 December 2006

Letchworth

I drove to Letchworth for a meeting of Herts CVS. On the way, I had time for a brief cup of tea with my Letchworthian parents. My father is three years into Alzheimers and this morning was again seeking news of his missing wife. Across the table, my mother (his wife of more than 50 years) is recovering well after her eye operation, and seems to have limitless reserves of endurance, strength, patience and kindness. I return the book on Alzheimers to my mother and had a brief talk encouraging my parents to get some additional support for themselves and arranging some Christmas dates.

Herts CVS

Herts CVS is a grouping of the CEOs of the nine CVS organisations in the county. We meet about every two months to organise and co-ordinate ourselves. Herts CVS administers the HCC Strategic Leadership fund for the voluntary sector, and HCC expect this fund to deliver step changes in the quality and effectiveness of CVS infrastructure support. This particular meeting was to agree the heads of a strategic plan for CVS activity across Hertfordshire to deliver these changes.

The Herts CEOs are a disparate bunch. Present today were Jacquie (North Herts), Ann (Stevenage), Mark (Dacorum), Ian (Broxbourne and East Herts), Laura (St Albans) and Robin (Hertsmere). Absent were Carmen (Welwyn Hatfield) and Mary (Three Rivers).

Royal Albert Hall

Having made good progress, the meeting broke up shortly after lunch and I returned home to sort out some domestic matters, including the aftermath of last week’s flood. I spoke with my daughter Nancy who is eagerly anticipating Christmas and who told me that on 19 December she is singing with the Southend Girls’ Choir at the Royal Albert Hall!