Tuesday, 14 November 2006

Mild morning

Determined to avoid yesterday’s traffic, I managed this morning to leave home before dawn. It was a wonderfully mild morning and within a few miles, the iron grey light of dawn helped illuminate the way to Watford and I arrived just before 7:30.

I explored further the WBC papers I’ve received on grants and accommodation, and prepared some materials to go on the WCVS website.

At 9:30 I met with Louise, the local manager for our new Connexions contract. She was extremely helpful explaining to me the lore of Connexions and the mysteries of their targets and standards. By the time Louise left, I felt much reassured. I think we will work well together.

My meeting with Louise was regularly interrupted by telephone calls. I knew we were going to be short-staffed today, but the one member of staff I expected called in sick, and then the volunteer who was to help on the reception desk also called in sick. When Sue returned to the office at 11:00 I welcomed her with open arms.

Refugees

I had a follow up conversation with ShopMobility (see previous blogs), before hurrying off to the Town Hall for a presentation on Gateway schemes organised by the local Refugee Forum. Apart from the presenter and the host, there were only five people present; a sad reflection on Britain’s once proud boast to provide a safe haven for victims of persecution and oppression – although it may also have resulted from the constant drizzle.

Local authorities can opt to become Gateway authorities, so exempting themselves from receiving asylum seekers dispersed through the country in the usual way. Rachael Thompson from the Refugee Council described how the scheme had operated in Sheffield and Hull, receiving families with full refugee status direct from UN Refugee camps in some of the world’s most troubled regions: Liberians, Congolese, and Karen from Burma.

The scheme has much to commend it and I hope that Watford can take part at some point.

Misunderstanding or discontent?

Back at the office I discovered some dissatisfaction among the staff – arising from new office allocations and possibly some misnderstandings over the definition of “consultation”. After a few hours reflection, I am still not sure if the difficulties arise from a genuine misunderstanding, or if they are a manifestation of deeper darker problems. In any event, it needs to be made clear that our occasional informal staff meetings do not constitute the WCVS's supreme policy-making body. I shall do this when the opportunity arises and see what happens next.