Friday, 24 November 2006

Computer problems

I arrived at work at 7:30 and found that our Windows 2003 server had frozen again. I rebooted it: nothing. I rerebooted it: nothing. I tried booting in Safe Mode: nothing.

I called our IT support chap, a wonderful man called Angelo. He suggested I try booting from the Windows 2000 operating system, and this worked: but when I tried to run Scan Disk it couldn’t read the directory. It was getting serious, but Angelo calmly asked me to run several different tests. Looking back, I suppose his calmness was intended to be reassuring, but at the time I was alarmed that he didn’t seem to understand the gravity of the situation.

By this time, other staff were arriving and unable to work.

The tests completed – all negative – Angelo directed me to a Dutch website to download a patch utility to mend the server's corrupted partition table. How does he know this stuff? We managed to access the internet by-passing the server, download the utility, install it on a floppy disk and reboot the server from the floppy disk. My hopes were high.

While the utility did its business, Pam (my Chair of trustees) arrived for one of our periodic meetings. I explained what was happening, and we talked for maybe 45 minutes. Pam has considerable local knowledge, an acute political sense, and a very sharp brain. Previously, I have learnt much from her and have enjoyed our talks. On this occasion, I was badly distracted and I am sure it showed.

After meeting Pam, I returned to tackle our server. A mere two hours later it was back up and running, to my huge relief.

Back to work

When my computer re-established contact with our e-mail server, my e-mail in-box filled with new e-mails. Most are mere spam, but it takes time to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Among the grains of wheat I received from other CVS Directors in Herts several e-mail queries about a database exercise we are all embarked on. I don’t mind queries, except in this instance the issues are mostly addressed in the guidance I’ve already circulated and this guidance has been discussed in several previous e-mail exchanges. To be fair, though, there ere are some additional questions and nuances that haven’t been covered before, so I send detailed and good humoured replies.

I spent the remainder of the day preparing for the coming week, arranging meetings and trying to plan and prioritise different projects and workloads.